"Eating is an Agricultural Act" - Wendell Berry
The Food Innovation Internship Program combines food processing- based field experience and activities in local food production, aggregation, distribution. Interns provide limited food testing to help assist food safety and regulatory compliance for new food products entering the market.
These interns receive hands-on experience in operating The Kitchen. They go beyond the book- applying food safety principles,developing recipes, strengthening food recovery and local food entrepreneurship efforts.
Food Innovation Internship ProgramInterns in this field experience will:
- Grow, harvest and process produce with WVU Horticulture Club, WVU People for Organic Practices Club, WVU Student Association of Nutrition & Dietetics and area produce farms.
- Apply food safety standards on value added products
- Process food into value added products
- Develop recipes
- Understand the pH of food samples.
- Develop nutrition facts and allergen identification labels
Training & Requirements
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 and
- WVU Hazards Lab Training
- Monongalia County Health Department
- Person in Charge Training Required
- Current: Food Handlers Required